1. How can I choose my silk carpet?
When choosing a carpet you should consider the size and shape of the carpet (rectangular, square, runner, oval and round are normal shapes of silk carpets). Silk carpets have special measures. So the size could be approximately with that you want. Silk carpets are works of art and are not made to cover the entire floor, so there usually will be at least 1 to 2 feet (30 to 60 centimeters) of vacant space between the edge of carpet and its surrounding furniture or walls. For the sizes of rectangular, square and runner carpets, it is no need to explain. However for the round carpet the size is measured by its diameter. For the oval shaped carpet, the longer diameter is considered to be the length and the shorter one the width.
2. How many kinds basic layout? What are thay?
1. Allover Carpets in this layout have no central design and the designs spread throughout the whole carpet separately or connected. There may be one same design or several designs appearing repeatedly throughout the whole carpet.
2. Medallion In this layout, a large centerpiece is the main design called "Medallion". And this layout is the most popular one in handmade carpet. The shapes of medallions are usually circular, oval, octagonal, hexagonal and star-like. This kind of carpets is always symmetric in layout.
3. One-sided For this layout, the designs are woven in only one direction. Therefore the carpet can only be properly viewed from one side. The designs on one-sided carpets are usually images of people, animals and sceneries. Since one-sided carpets should not be viewed upside-down they are often used as tapestries.
3. What are the colors of silk carpet? And the styles?
Silk carpets have many colors but the first impression of the color a carpet gives you is the contrast of various colors that creates the different designs. This is the same way in all other art fields. The colors of a carpet are mainly identified by the field (background) color and the border color. The field color is dominant. It usually covers the entire carpet with the exception of the border and the most commonly used colors are red, blue, black, beige and yello. But some times, the colors of background and the border are so distinguishable. So when choosing the silk carpet you should consider whether the field color matches your furniture and the wall.
There are many styles in Chinese silk carpet. Typical Chinese styles are like dragon design, phoenix design, Buddhist and Taoist symbol design. Persian style is very important and popular. Since introduced in China, it has been very well developed. A lot of high-density knot silk carpets are woven in Persian style. Turkish style and other styles also can be seen in Chinese silk carpets.
4. What Determines A Good Silk Carpet?
The knot density is one of the most important criteria of quality. The quality of silk,the workmanship, the harmony of colors and the balance of the pattern are also important factors to determine the quality.
As far as the knot density concerned, we consider 120 lines (14400knots/sft) silk carpet medium fine, 300 lines (90,000knots/sft) silk carpet fine, 400 lines (160,000 knots/sft) silk carpet super fine, above 500 lines (250,000 knots/sft) silk carpet extreme fine, 1000 lines (1000,000 knots/sft) silk carpet the finest. The Persian and Turkish silk carpet are very famous for their design and quality but compared with Chinese silk carpet, the knot density is much lower. China produces extremely high knot-density silk carpets and silk tapestries, which workmanship are incredibly exquisite.
5. How to take care of silk carpet?
Silk carpet is a kind of luxury decoration. When use it, you should attach great attention so as to prolong its life.
1. Placing the silk carpet When place the silk carpet, put a good quality underlay below it. This will not only give better resilience underfoot, but also prolong the life of silk carpet. The carpet mat can absorb the moisture of the floor and prevent the carpet slipping.
2. Preservation When you don't use the carpet you should roll it against the direction of the nap and sore it at a dry place in case of being damped. You should not put the carpet in a plastic bag.
3. Shifting directions Depends on the traffic every 6 months or one-year please shift the direction of the carpet so as the piles can keep in good condition.
6. How to clean silk carpets (silk rugs)?
Generally speaking, every 2 years you should look for a professional carpet cleaning company to clean the silk carpets one time. In daily life you can vacuum the carpet to remove dirt but not vacuum the fringes. If beer, wine or oil stains the silk carpets but not seriously you can use a towel to dilute the spill quickly then use lukewarm water with a mild detergent and a dash of vinegar to dab stain with soft cloth.
7. How to test real silk rugs?
1. Rub the surface. You could feel real silk from artificial silk by vigorously rubbing the pile with your open palm. The real silk rug feels warm, the artificial silk rug stays cool to the touch.
2. Burn the yarn. This test is very effective and actually can be helpful. Clip off a small piece of the fringe, or pull a knot out of the rug from the back. Burn it. Look at the ash and smell the smoke. If the material was cellulose (rayon), the ash should be soft and chalky, and the smell should be like burning paper (most paper is made of cellulose). If it is real silk, the ash should be ?black and crispy, and the smell should be like burning hair (you're burning protein, the same stuff your hair is made of).
3. Dissolve the yarn. The most accurate test is one that chemically differentiates protein from cellulose or petrochemicals. One such test: at room temperature, mix a solution of 16 g copper sulfate (CuSO4) in 150 cc of water. Add 8-10 g glycerine, then caustic soda (sodium hydroxide: NaOH) until a clear solution is obtained. This solution will dissolve a small sample of natural silk, but will leave cotton, rayon, and nylon unchanged.